Monday, March 24, 2014

Not These Pants!

Because this blog will most likely serve as our family photo album for the past three years, our scrapbook of life events AND Knox's baby book, I want to document as much as I can of our daily and even mundane happenings. I learned early on that the adorable way Purslane and Knox interpret the world is here one day and gone the next. Some of our favorite things disappear from their vocabulary before we had a chance to hear it just one more time (see It's Just an Oogie).

Pursy Claire turns four next month. She is starting preschool in the fall, is a huge fan of old school french braids in her hair and picking out her own clothes in the morning. She has gotten into books that I loved as a child- namely Amelia Bedelia, Dr Seuss and the Frog and Toad series. She will curl up next to me and read for hours...if we had hours to curl up and read (will introduce our biggest distraction in the next paragraph). It is hard to pick her favorite things because really it would be easier to list the things she isn't into- maybe nuclear weapons and plants that grow in the desert. And she isn't interested because she doesn't know those things exist.  The girl is curious about everything. She is asking fantastic questions like "what does God smell like?" and "what do goats eat for dinner?". She wants to know why our chimney doesn't need a sweep and why the things on her wrists are blue when the blood in them is red. From the moment she wakes up, her eyes are open wide. She usually comes running into our room with her OK to Wake owl clock over her head to show us it turned green and she can legally be awake. Her favorite foods are brussels sprouts and grapes. She loves Dinosaur Train and has memorized all 26 species in the Dino A-Z song. Nothing bugs her more then wearing the wrong day of the week undies. Thursday evenings the four of us go to Sarah Heinz House for her gymnastics class and she heads to the gym in her black leotard, black tights...and rainbow leg warmers. She is all about things she can do when she gets bigger (drink beer, strap the bottom strap on her car seat, and say "stupid") and works effortlessly to enchant us every day.

Knox has become a little hambone. He has discovered that his antics make people laugh and whomever walks in the door for whatever reason is usually greeted by a "hey, watch dis!" followed by some crazy dance move, full sprint across the room or a pillow to the groin. He makes funny faces on command and when asked how he would feel if we took away his juice water responds with "I be so ANGWY" (when should you stop using your child for entertainment??). He loves to chase Pursy around with his T-Rex biting her arm, wake us up with a stinky diaper in our face, and twirl anything sticky in his hair with his fork. His favorite foods are anything within reach. Especially edemame ("eddie mommy"), grapes on the cob (stems attached) and tacos from the taco stand in the Strip. He has found his voice and is very much a part of this family with his determined stance and resolute fixation on a course of action. When cajoling and wrapping his body around my leg doesn't change my mind, the next thing I can count on is a 35 pound full body tackle punctuated by an ear piercing scream that I can still hear ringing in my ears as I walk back down the stairs after depositing a very angry little boy in his room for a well earned time out. I have to work very hard to keep a straight face while explaining to him why he got himself in trouble, as usually he starts stroking my cheek. His party line answer when asked why he got a time out is "because I didn't wisten", regardless of the offence. He loves his train table, watching the world go by outside the car window and "taking off" from the blue tape starting line I put down on the floor of the living room when I was desperate for him to get some energy out but was out of creativity to make up a game. By far our favorite Knoxism is the every day, every single time, every pair of pants in his drawer protest to getting dressed. "Not these pants! Not these pants!". We have no idea what his issue with getting pants on is and once we have wrangled him into them he is perfectly fine.

We are back to being sleep deprived, zombie parents as both the babes have returned to infant stage multiple night wakings. We have tried everything and are just contenting ourselves with the reminder that every stage is a cycle. Grant is working long hours but still comes home for dinner every night. I am doing my best to be my children's first teacher, put food on the table and keep properly fitting clothes on everyone, including myself. I dance out the door on Tuesdays afternoons to work a shift at the hospital, where I keep up with my professional skills and my adult interaction skills. Opening Day is next week and our Pirates season tickets are smoldering on the kitchen island. Last weekend we spent with our dearests in State College while we baptized children, celebrated birthdays and remembered, even for 48 hours, what it feels like to be KNOWN. By people who know you are super interesting to converse with but have to interrupt conversations 27 times by children wanting to play. I started a book club with 10 fabulous women and we meet once a month to drink, eat and discuss books. Next weekend we are traveling to St Louis to spend some time with MORE of our dearests while Grant attends a conference and the babes and I check out all the free stuff to do. I started taking a seminary class this semester on Reformed Orthodoxy, so every Monday afternoon head out with my travel coffee mug and college rule Composition notebook to learn about the basic tenants of my theology.

Our life at present. There is so much goodness. And so much coffee needed in order to handle it all.


2 comments:

  1. Hi dear friend. Sorry I never replied back to your email. It wasn't for lack of interest in having a conversation.... just life getting in the way. I'm sure you get that. But reading your posts reminds me how much I miss you. I'm coming to Pittsburgh this weekend with a friend, but I guess you won't be around. Hopefully we'll catch up someday soon! *hugs* xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved getting a little Martsolf lovin' this weekend! Thanks for celebrating with us. See you in the 'burgh soon :).

    ReplyDelete