Thursday, September 5, 2013

Self Love

I hired someone to clean my house.

There, I said it. I am a stay at home Mama who works outside the home 8-12 hours a week and I just paid someone to come in and clean the space where I spend the majority of my time. Those of you amazingly high functioning parents who find time to clean your own home (and my sweet friend Emily who gets a really odd feeling of happiness with a mop in her hand) can now count me among the ranks of the spotless floor and dust-free bookshelf and sparkly toilet.

I just didn't do it myself.

I tried. I made calendars and To Do lists and talked with babysitters about coming while I was home just to keep Pursy and Knox away from me while I cleaned the bathrooms. I tried to clean while the babes were napping and I tried to clean while they were awake. I tried to clean first thing in the morning before I took a shower and I tried to pull myself off the couch in the evening to clean before I went to bed. I really did try.

Those of you with small children anywhere in your life know what happened. You cannot clean with a 3.5 year old and an almost 2 year old in the same room. It is not a fun teaching moment, unless teaching them swears counts as part of the learning. You cannot clean with babes in another room because anything they could find to content themselves without your supervision will probably take you more time to clean up then whatever you were scrubbing in the next room.

Morning time is for cuddles and coffee and Olivia the Pig books. Evening time is for beer and spously conversation and Season One of the Good Wife snuggling on the couch.

So I put aside my guilt and my unrealistic expectations and I asked for recommendations. I found Ms Susan, who is a no-nonsense, brusque woman in her mid 40's who cleans like Jesus is coming tomorrow and will choose my house to visit first. The only time she cracks a smile is when Knox comes around the corner and wants to give her a fist bump. But she swept out a year of lint from behind my dryer. And found 5 sippy cups under Pursy's dresser.

And I will not give myself this luxury EVERY afternoon right after she leaves, but today I made myself an iced coffee and will survey my beautifully clean home while I jot out this blog post and then start perusing my favorite food blogs for meal ideas. The babes are "resting", there is nothing to straighten or clean or pick up, and I am thanking my lucky stars for Ms Susan, my ability to give myself a break, and my peach of a husband who encouraged me to find some help.
This is what I feel like right now.



1 comment:

  1. I love it! Did you know my mom had a cleaning lady for, oh I don't know, over 20 years! I distinctly remember Emily coming over every Friday to clean. We had to have our rooms picked up and she did the rest. My mom was a SAHM and didn't work outside of the home until I was 14. She didn't feel guilty and neither should you. Emily became part of the family and even taught my brother how to wipe his own bum. Yup, as the third child my mom didn't even have time to teach him that so Emily did. Group effort! So enjoy that clean home and don't think twice about it. Love you! - Jules

    ReplyDelete