Monday, August 12, 2013

Welcome to Our Table

This week our menu included pork tacos, herb omelets, rainbow quinoa with fresh parmesan and new gluten free recipes. Grant has become used to the camera being part of the table setting and my babes are thriving in their role of food model.


Tools to build a fantastic herb and cheese omelet

I actually make a pretty perfect omelet- I learned from my Dad who used to make them all the time when we were growing up. He perfected his technique and passed it along to me.

Fancy food for a fancy Knoxer man

I mean, come on... even on a plastic plate that is beautiful.

Salsa from the farmer's market

With handmade blue corn chips

The fixings for shredded pork tacos. We usually use queso fresco but TJ's was out. Shredded Monterey Jack and Sharp Cheddar were good in a pinch. I put the pork tenderloin in a deep skillet and covered it with pork seasoning from Reyna's in the Strip. I have no idea what all the spices are..:) Once I browned the pork on all sides, I added a cup or so of vegetable broth and put the lid on the tenderloin so it would cook slowly with lots of moisture. I had to refill the liquid 2 or 3 times- just enough to keep the bottom of the skillet covered. In about an hour the pork was perfectly cooked through, seasoned well and still moist. Shred with two forks.

My friend Caryn says that late afternoon light is the best for photos. I think this taco would have looked delicious in any light, but I have to say there is something magical about the natural light.

Cinnamon Alphabet Letter Cookies

Gluten Free Blueberry Pancakes. I used the recipe on the side of the TJ's gluten free flour, but substituted buttermilk for the water it called for. Why use an ingredient that has no flavor when you can use something that makes pancakes taste so yummy?? I also used half the flour and used almond meal for the other half. Loved the nutty flavor it added.

These were delicious- light and beautifully fluffy for gluten free.

My staple Summer breakfast. Homemade almond and vanilla granola over yogurt and fruit.

Pensive breakfast face.

What does milk do for your body?

Makes big muscles!!

My personal café.
Knox, can I have a drink of your juicewater?

Nope.

Still sucks on his food. Super cute.

My beautiful girl.

Pancake beard.

Not really a food picture, but this is Knox in my best attempt at a quick tent.


Green beans with butter and salt, carrots sautéed with brown sugar, vanilla and cinnamon, rainbow quinoa with fresh parmesan, grilled chicken with lemon pepper seasoning.

Ice Cream Bar goatee.

Happiness.

The base for a potato, egg and cheese breakfast casserole. I always leave the skins on- it adds color and texture.

Felt a bit like Giada as I was doubling the amount of cheese the recipe called for...

Something about a bowl full of eggs is so poetic.

The peanut gallery watches me make breakfast.

Our tip of the hat to Shark Week.

The first morning Pursy cut her waffle up all by herself. She was so proud.

A mound of gluten free almond waffles. I used the traditional recipe from Better Homes and Gardens big red cookbook but substituted gluten free flour and almond meal for the regular flour. I also added vanilla and agave.


1 comment:

  1. I love reading/looking at all of your photos and food tips. We're staying with Stacy's sister in California and she eats gluten free because of allergies. She's also allergic to dairy, which makes making anything doughy a bit of a challenge. Anyway... thanks for posting some gluten free stuff because I'm going to try going gluten free when I get back to Bellefonte. I know it's a bit trendy right now for people who aren't *actually* allergic to gluten, but I like the diet. It's a bit unrealistic for me to cut out carbs completely, but at least eating more complex carbs and grains seems like a good way to go.

    ReplyDelete