Thursday, May 30, 2013

The Short List

I have been emptying the dishwasher for over 4 hours today. The same set of dishes. And it still isn't done. Why does it take me all day to do this simple chore? Because here is the list of activities that both of my children can do by themselves.

1. Napping
2. Watching TV

These are officially the only things that can consume their attention and/or curb their fantastically creative minds long enough for me to do something of semi-lasting value. Like change a load of laundry from the washer to the dryer, sweep the kitchen floor, address and stamp bills, bake a cake, or empty the dishwasher.

Anything that turns my head away from my 3 year old and 18 month old for longer than 9 seconds results in what I can only assume is a desperate plea for my attention. I can come up with no other reason for why Knox would want to grab handfuls of dirt from the front porch planter and transport it to the bathroom floor. Or why Pursy would think that taking the egg shells FROM the garbage and putting them BACK in the egg carton of whole eggs in the fridge is helpful.

Both of these desperate pleas for my attention occurred today.

Thus the dishwasher is half emptied. The rest of the dishes are waiting in the sink, however the bathroom floor is freshly swept and the egg shells are back in the garbage. And right now, they are running around the backyard "doing yard work Mama!" with the sprinkler and two brooms. Grant will be so relieved that he has one less chore to do when he gets home tonight...


More Juicewater good woman!

2 comments:

  1. When I come for supper I want that dishwasher STILL half emptied..... it will help me concerning my own attitude towards my own half-cleaned home :). Thank you for serving me this way ....... ha.

    ReplyDelete