Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Unicorns and Sunshine

So it's late (early) and I got home from work a bit ago, had a beer and bowl of leftover peanut ginger noodles that I had made for Grant and the babes for dinner, and finished Argo. Am now sitting here with a bit too much beer and not quite enough sleep and food in my system and feeling lovey.

Grant, I love ya. You take excellent care of our children when I am at work and they don't fully know yet how awesome you are.You are wicked brilliant and interesting and funny and have the best hands. I am so proud of the work you do and just love that you are my husband. Yesterday when I got that email about Pitt's DNP program, you walked over to the calendar and wrote the Open House on April 6th without a moment's hesitation. And in that moment, you validated what I want for my future career and what you think is important about our plans as a family. Mama will go back to school, and we will make it work. And you said all of that in one moment. In pen. I don't know how I convinced you to marry me, but I'm so lucky you fell for my feminine wiles. You are the man of my dreams and a very good friend.

Allie, I think you are a gorgeous woman. Your friendship has been such a gift, and your ability to help me see the bigger picture, just by how you love YOUR particular boys, has been an inspiration to me. I hope we will sit on the front porch in our rocking chairs whittling together some day.

Mama, I am so proud of the way you have stepped into our life and been a grandmother to our babies. Pursy and Knox truly adore you and I have loved watching Pursy make the connection between my relationship with her, and the one I had with you. Every time I brush her wet hair fresh out of the bath and she says "Mama, you didn't like it when Gramma brushed your hair either, right?" I smile. And then I finish brushing despite the protest, because it just has to be done.

LeeAnn, you are my hero in so many ways. I don't know how you have the energy or longsuffering to do what you do with my niece and nephew every day but you are raising two great kids. And you are still funny and interesting and devoted. From the day you sat behind that open newspaper and ignored me, I have been trying to get you to like me, and after 10 years I hope you do. I am crazy about your brother, so won't be going anywhere. :)

Pursy and Knox. You are two of my favorite people and I can't get over the fact that I get to make your pancakes every day. Let's go to the Science Center tomorrow and check out some cool stuff.

Good Night Pittsburgh, the city with the amazing bridges and beautiful front door who has won my heart. You will never be New Orleans, but I finally think I don't need you to be. You are my home and I love you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment