Thursday, December 27, 2012

The One Where We Played in the Snow...

Sweet Purslane Claire-
 I trust you know without a doubt that I love you. There is nothing you could ever do that would make me stop loving you as completely as I do right now. I admire your thirst for adventure and respect your desire to change things up every few minutes or so. I have given up trying to convince you that sitting still and just taking it all in is anywhere close to being as fun as running around like a crazy person yelling "Watch out- I tickle you until you pee your pants!!". I don't know how much sleep I would need or how much high protein/high carb food energy I would have to consume in order to keep up with you, but you and I are both aware that most days I tucker out way before you do. And as Olivia's mother says at the end of every book, "You know, you really wear me out. But I love you anyway".

Your constant motion and unending stream of questions and observations make you one of my favorite people to be around. You notice EVERYTHING. And you don't stop there... you must immediately use all your five senses to absorb all the information you can. It gets you in trouble sometimes when the world can't keep up, but know that one of my goals every single day is to make sure you have things to discover.

I am sorry when I don't see your precocious energy as a good thing. The times I yell, lose my patience or simply hold you back because I am too tired. I ask you to understand things beyond your 2.5 years because I have another babe that needs time and attention, and you just need to wait. It is hard, I know. And even though I don't like watching you lay down on the floor in protest, I understand. And some days, I wish I could join you.

But TODAY both of us hit on all cylinders. You laid in bed with Daddy and I until 7a, cuddling and chatting about whatever. That extra rest gave me energy and we played all morning: you, me and Knox. We made fish, watermelon and mustard soup in your new play kitchen, pushed Knox around on his Radio Flyer car and I even got a second cup of coffee while you chatted with Gramma on Skype. When we put Knox down for a nap, you and I pulled on our hats and coats and went outside to play in the 7 inches of snow that fell yesterday. Our backyard was pristine- except for the stray dog footprints that went straight to the garbage on the back porch.

You made a snow angel, we threw some pathetic snow balls at each other and you slid down your slide. You also ate a TON of snow and your cheeks got cherry apple red. It was glorious. When you were done, we came inside and ate clementines.

I love you, sweet girl. You are one cool kid.
Mama


No comments:

Post a Comment