Monday, June 18, 2012

Grrr... So Frustrating

I have started three blog posts now with titles rotating around the idea of "A Good Dad", "Happy Father's Day" and "Tattooed Dad". I have gotten several paragraphs in and realized that my eloquent verbage was just verbage without any real content. What I really wanted to say in regards to yesterday's holiday was this.

My babies are lucky sons of guns to have the Dad they do.

I remember the first time I laid in bed and listened on the baby monitor to Grant apologizing to four month old Pursy for losing his patience with her in the middle of the night when she was screaming. And I remember thinking that everything crazy was going to be okay, as long as I could go through life and parenting with this man. He gets it so right most of the time, and the times he doesn't- he apologizes and asks forgiveness. Even from a tiny babe. And that makes him gold and us lucky to have him.

In other news, we spent Saturday in the Strip District- Pittsburgh's answer to "what should we do today?". We met up with some friends and walked around the open air fruit and vegetable markets, Penzey's Spice store and Wholey's- every ex vegetarian's nightmare. At one point, surrounded by open lockers of beef, pork, chicken, fish and all their sundry bits, I looked at my friend Emily and said "I am afraid". I grabbed what I hoped was an acceptable cut of steak and ran for the checkout. After we procured our weekly foodstuffs, Johnny took us to a Peruvian restaurant, where we sat outside and shared an entire chicken, beans and rice, and some green sauce that we all agreed was way too hot.. while we poured it over everything we put in our mouths.

Home and naps- for everyone. Then we walked down the street to our first Pittsburgh neighborhood block party. Pursy drew with chalk and played with bubbles. Grant and I ate hamburgers and drank beer and Knox charmed the lovely British woman who lives on our block. We have fantastic neighbors. Then back home to put babes to bed and sit on our back porch with friends and wine.

Not a bad way to spend a weekend- celebrating Dads and community. I have to say I am pretty fond of both.

My Dada is Number One!


No comments:

Post a Comment