Tuesday, April 3, 2012

32 is the new.... somethin'

Today is my birthday. The big 32. Somehow I thought I would feel old. Mid-30ish. Sensible whole wheat waffles and 1% milk in my coffee. Cotton underwear and comfortable slacks.

Instead I feel surprisingly young. Grant and I stayed up until midnight watching the last season of Friday Night Lights and finishing a Basil Haydens. Today I watched Tangled three times with a sick toddler and a 6 month old who is very content to just sit in my lap and laugh. We ate string cheese with chopsticks for lunch and Grant took me out for burgers and beer for dinner. Tomorrow if Pursy feels better we will spend the afternoon at a park, probably drive to Bell's Optometrist to pick up my new Buddy Holiday style glasses and if we have time maybe walk to Tazza D'Oro to have an iced coffee. I have 7 herbs in little Bonnie pots waiting to be planted in wooden planter boxes, and one basil plant that will go into it's own sweet red stone pot because I love basil and I loved this pot the minute I saw it. Probably the oldest thing I will do tomorrow is take my Triple Omega vitamin to try and bring down my cholesterol level, which is surprisingly high for a girl who was a vegetarian for the last 13 years.

For me, birthdays are a reminder of how far I have come. I used to love my birthday because my Mom made such a big deal about them- it truly was our day. From the breakfast in bed to the cupcakes at school to the dinner of our choice- my Mom was amazing at reminding us that we were special and loved. Now I love my birthday because every year I know myself a little better. Am a little more confident in my place in the universe and feel a little more at peace with my faults. I have three beautiful reasons to work harder and love more- Grant, Purslane and Knox. God gave me quite a family in these people.

So Happy Birthday to me. I am a wife, mother, nurse, daughter, friend, auntie, sister, cousin, niece and granddaughter. And that did not happen overnight- it was 32 years in the making. Happy Birthday, dear friend. May this year give you more opportunities to love well and often. In the words of Kurt Vonnegut, "A purpose of human life, no matter who is controlling it, is to love whoever is around to be loved."

1 comment:

  1. I will wear cotton underwear and yoga pants no matter how young I am :D

    ReplyDelete