Monday, April 11, 2011

A Tribute

Life happens too fast for you ever to think about it. If you could just persuade people of this, but they insist on amassing information. -Kurt Vonnegut

Today is the anniversary of the death of my favorite author- KV. I discovered Mr Vonnegut through my literary goldmine of a husband who could not believe that I had reached the tender age of 24 without discovering Cat's Cradle, Breakfast of Champions and Slaughterhouse V. To catch up, I read every single one of Vonnegut's books in the Summer of 2004. We were living with Grant's parents, traveling all over the country and basically enjoying the fruits of marriage and college degrees. My joy was stunted only by the mild nagging desire to kill myself and everyone around me.

When I say I love Kurt Vonnegut's writings, it feels hyperbolic. I believe love is the strongest of emotions, lived out by actions and defined by words that only have their context and can be fully understood in the trinitarian figurehead of God. I do not love Pad Thai, argyle knee high socks or my morning coffee- although these things are all very important to me and I would miss them terribly if they went away. However, I do believe in my feeble human way, I love every book I have ever read by Kurt Vonnegut. I cried the day he died, quoted him in my speech at graduation, and when he is referenced in sermons (which is not NEAR often enough) I have the urge to stand up and cheer.

Only those of you who have consumed so much Vonnegut at once can understand why it seemed my only option was to kill myself. His books are so incredible, humanistic, colorful, nihilistic, hilarious, pessimistic- it literally feels like a Mardi Gras parade where the Cru members are throwing acid and jelly donuts going through your head.

So today I will pay a tribute to the man who changed my view of what makes a good book, broadened my vocabulary and made me look suspiciously at any man wearing a custom suit. Kurt Vonnegut, I wish I could have met you.

We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.- Kurt Vonnegut

No comments:

Post a Comment