Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Why we Survive

This weekend I discovered that my best friend and I have known each other for 20 years. Our anniversary will be in June, where we met in 1991 at Seneca Lake camp. With the exception of bigger boobs and shorter hair, she looks exactly the same. Her gorgeous face is still flawless and she still can make me laugh harder then anyone when she makes weird comments about life's odd randomness.

This is the friend who drove to South Carolina to watch me graduate from High School. The summer before college I called one of her boyfriends and told him if he cared about her at all he would break up with her simply because she deserved better and just didn't know it. We stood up in each others weddings. She poured a gallon of distilled water over my first car and christened it The Epiphany. We drove/flew to wherever the other was when our firstborns came into the world. I pushed her into a murky lake in Iowa, but then agreed to wear my Great Aunts underwear so she could wear mine. We have driven absurd distances to find a good thrift store. We have shared clothes, toothbrushes, cold pizza, cars, vacations, but never boyfriends. We have skinny dipped together, she has embarrassed the hell out of me by putting honey in her beer at a pub, and she is still the first person I want to call when something good (or bad) happens.

We have also gone through dry spells- going almost a year without talking or keeping up with infrequent text messages or voicemails. But the 3 hour marathon catch up session never begins with apologies or false explanations. We just pick up- and that is why we survive. We do not expect to be the ladies from SITC having Saturday breakfasts together every week. But after 20 years we have our own groove and way of doing things. She is literally my favorite woman on the planet and the fact that she remembers me with braces and glasses makes her irreplaceable. I love you Sarah Elizabeth Trein Binkele.

No comments:

Post a Comment