Monday, January 17, 2011

Me and Natalie= BFF

I adore Natalie Portman. If she were not so beautiful and talented I would call her agent and ask if she wanted to come over for dinner. The issue of course is that I do not want Grant anywhere near her. :)

Black Swan came out a few weeks ago and my friend Amanda and I have been waiting patiently for a day with babysitters and no looming papers (for her) to go see it. I usually see these films with Grant but he graciously gave up his seat next to me so Amanda and I could go. I am not ashamed to say that I handpicked her as a movie partner because she was a ballerina in one of her former lives and I wanted her insider perspective. It was a brilliant choice on my part.

The film is a.. ballet thriller?? There was some campy moments (like when the main character's legs turn into swan legs) some creepy moments (like when her reflection starts staring back at her- alive) and some gory moments that I still cringe thinking about (like when she pulls her nailbed back all the way up her finger). But Darren Orenofsky is a dark crazy genius and this film was one of the best I have seen in quite a while. He merges the beautiful art of ballet with the obsessive behaviors of the ballerinas to make the world of professional dancing come alive in a way that I have been thinking about since I left the theatre.

Back to Natalie. She was the lead character and was more beautiful then I have ever seen her. But what sold me on her best friend potential was her acceptance speech at the Golden Globes. She was 1.pregnant 2.giddy 3.stone cold classy and 4.grateful. Her speech was unrehearsed, did not include a laundry list of names and seemed very genuine. She gushed over her fiance and thanked her director for "giving me the gift of this role".

I am self-admitted celebrity hound. I love reading People and US weekly at the gym and can rattle off the names of all the Jolie-Pitts. I actually tore a page out of my Newsweek a few months ago with the picture of the Supreme Court justices so their names could rattle off my tongue as quickly as Kate Winslet's movies. As I have explained to Grant, I study the world of entertainment celebrities like an ethnography. Here are a people who live outside of societal norms, rules and constructs. They do whatever they want- and the rest of us either admire or despise their status. But for the most part, I am not surprised when, in their real-life interviews, they sound like one big douche. Collectively, money and fame turns too many celebrities into self-loving assholes.

But Natalie seemed different. Somehow she seems to have escaped. She graduated from Harvard and has a string of lovers but no divorce dramas. I realize I am starting to gush but really think she is a classy broad. But I still would rather meet her out for a beer then have her over for dinner. I also am requesting Grant not see Black Swan without me, because if I fell in love with her a little bit who knows what will happen to Grant.

2 comments:

  1. Christy,
    You are a phenomenally wonderful writer!! (and a very quirky and, therefore, delightfully appealing thinker). We love to read this blog!!
    aunt margie xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know someone who is naming there daughter "Mila"...I immediately thought it was because of her sassy, sexy, i-may-not-even-be-real ballerina role... and now I kinda want to have a Mila Parks...

    ReplyDelete