Thursday, September 30, 2010

Finding Our Own Way

We have finally gotten Pursy into a nap routine- usually she wakes up between 7-7:30 and is rubbing her eyes by 9. I nurse her, rock her, then put her in her crib with drowsy eyes. Sometimes she flips right over onto her belly and goes to sleep. And sometimes she fusses- definitely letting me know that she is not tired yet. Most methods tell you that the worst thing in the world is to go in to her because she will never learn to self-soothe. I find that if I pick her up, she snuggles into my shoulder and falls right to sleep after that. It's like she just wants to make sure that I am still there.

I can't blame her- I am the same way. Grant finds several times during the night me snuggling into that place under his arm. He has gotten so used to it that he doesn't really wake up anymore, just puts his arm around me. So if I still need that little comfort at 30 years old, why wouldn't she want it at 5 months?

Nature vs. Nurture- nature wins every time. :) I don't really believe this but in the 5 months that I have known her, I have seen more of her innate personality winning over my attempts to teach her things that babies her age are learning. This used to be scary to me, especially as I heard other mothers tell me that I needed to be teaching her that I am the Mom and she needs to acquiesce. But this looks different to everyone, and I plan to find the balance between training and helping her become a good human being and allowing her to be the person she is going to be. And that may not be someone who can self-soothe. I just hope she one day finds a husband who likes to snuggle.

3 comments:

  1. Pursy is one lucky little girl. And it makes so much sense that of course she falls asleep after snuggling into your shoulder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw this article in the New York Times and thought of you. I don't think it says anything you don't already know from all of your books, but it is interesting all the same! Enjoy.

    http://consults.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/30/new-parents-in-need-of-sleep/?ref=health

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you been hanging out with my wife or something? =)

    ReplyDelete