Thursday, July 8, 2010

Our First Date

Tonight Grant and I went on our first date since Pursy was born. This is particularly significant as we are serial daters and have been since we started almost 8 years ago. We love a morning date, afternoon date or evening where just the two of us sit down over a good meal and a good beer and talk about life. We promised each other when we started talking about kids that we would continue to date each other and thus prolong the romance.

It has been 11 weeks with no date- and tonite we went out. I suppose you can still call it "going out" when we left our daughter upstairs on the 9th floor of the Station Square Sheraton with her grandparents and went to the hotel bar for a few hours. One cell phone call for me to return to the room to comfort my crying daughter was our only distraction from each other. I actually put on lipstick AND eye liner, and Grant pulled out all his best moves- we laughed and talked and eavesdropped on the table next to us full of individuals that we are fairly sure work in some capacity on True Blood. (Anna-I was so excited!!)

It's funny how having a child can change the dynamic of a marriage if you let it. We literally could have sat there and talked about Pursy for two hours- and it would have been okay. But we are committed to remaining interesting to each other outside of being Pursy's Mom and Dad. So maybe it was my Whiskey Sour (an old favorite) or maybe it was Grant's hand on my thigh, but I looked at the face of my best friend and remembered again why I fell in love with him in the first place- he is my favorite person to hang out with.

1 comment:

  1. Keep the romance and friendship alive. Looking back, I love it that my parents did a lot without us. (they did a lot with us too) I was never afraid they would divorce and that's the best gift u can give sweet Pursy. Love u!

    ReplyDelete